There’s unfortunately no way to break the news gently: Naaman has had a CNS relapse and will be starting a new treatment. His spinal fluid tests from Thursday came back showing leukemia cells in his spinal fluid, which has been clear for close to two years.
What happens now?
Naaman went to clinic today for a bone marrow sample, which did not go well for respiratory issues. He went to the PICU to recharge, and was admitted to the oncology floor a few hours later. Fortunately, they got enough of a sample to check, and so far, the bone marrow seems to be okay. We are awaiting the rest of the results.
Once we have more information, we will share, and once we are not quite so exhausted, we will give more details about his new treatment plan. But the important points are:
- Naaman will be in the hospital for about a month.
- He will need radiation this time.
- The treament is some new, some old chemotherapies he has already had.
- The treatment is more intense and condensed.
- He will lose his hair. Again.