Counts not ready yet – no admission today

We went to clinic this morning with hopes of starting next round, Interim Maintenance 1.  (There’s Interim Maintenance 2 later on.)  To review, that meant if his ANC (absolute neutrophil count) was above 750, he would have an LP (lumbar puncture) and bone marrow aspirate (like a little sample) in clinic, and then be admitted to inpatient for a high dose of chemo meds.  We would stay at least three days to be monitored and get other meds.  It’s more of a mental challenge to wonder – will we be admitted, or will we turn around and go home?  You have to have all of your bags packed and arrangements made in case you are admitted, not to mention he has to fast for 6 hours.  Fortunately, he did wake at 2:00 a.m. so he got a nice late night meal in.

It was very busy at clinic and the blood draw and results took a while. At least his crew of BFFs were there, too, so he had playmates.  He wasn’t ready to start next  round, though.  Naaman’s other counts are okay for now (i.e. no need for blood or platelets), but ANC was only 500.  All we can do is keep him healthy and wait until next Thursday. Backs are packed and will just sit in my car until we need them. Keep praying for the magic number: 750!  Fortunately, if he isn’t ready next Thursday, we don’t have to spend Thanksgiving in the hospital (unless something unexpected occurs) because they can flex his start time by 72 hours. (If you see Naaman, ask him what sound a turkey makes and get ready for cuteness.)

-Nicole

1 thought on “Counts not ready yet – no admission today”

  1. Thank you for keeping us up to date. I hope his counts are up so his medical fight can continue. Karen R. said her Mom’s prayer circle fell in love with his pictures, and it helps to focus on him when praying. We love you!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.